A desire for youthful and healthy skin is no longer considered the sole domain of females….
In 2013 we saw a big change when, for the first time, men spent more cash on male-specific skin care, than on shaving products. This market for male skincare is positioned to reach a staggering US$166 billion globally by 2022. In response to this, I have provided a tailored answer for this growing demographic: the Synergie Skin For Men range.
When surveyed, men in corporate positions considered their appearance to have bearing in both their success and longevity in the business world. Men have also become increasingly aware of the importance of protecting their face and body from solar and pollution damage to reduce premature ageing and irreversible skin damage. This awareness about skin health has seen an increase in the need for a specific daily men’s regimen.
Firstly, how does male skin differ to female, and why is there a need to have a distinct product range?
- Male skin is about 25% thicker than that of a woman’s. A man’s skin also thins gradually with age, whereas the thickness of a woman’s skin remains constant until about the age of fifty. After menopause, female skin will thin rapidly. The ageing process of men starts considerably later, but is also accelerated once it commences.
- The male dermis has a higher collagen density than female dermis, making male skin appear firmer. The collagen fibres in men’s skin form a tighter mesh; in women they tend to run in a less dense, more parallel fashion. This may explain why some women appear to age faster than men of the same age under the same environmental conditions.
- The male outer layer (stratum corneum) is 20% thicker than a woman’s. Thus, male skin barrier function is slightly better and male skin tends to be better hydrated than female skin.
- Ageing men often exhibit less fine wrinkling but more deep facial folds than women. This is related to higher levels of subcutaneous fat loss with age in men.
- Men have larger pores and produce 75% more sebum. Since men do not enter menopause, their sebum production remains the same throughout their life. Due to the higher sebum levels, acne and seborrheic dermatitis are more common in males.
- Males have more lactic acid in their sweat, which accounts for a slightly more acidic acid mantle (.05 lower pH) compared to females.
- Men have more shaving-related skin issues, including ingrown hairs and razor burn. This is possibly due to their larger pore size.
- Men have naturally higher levels of testosterone, which results in increased collagen production and blood flow.
So, what do men really want? I believe embracing minimalism, style and straightforward choices is the key to satisfying the male market. Packaging must be user-friendly, sophisticated and contain simple and clear instructions. Men want to perform their routine quickly and on average, spend less than five minutes on their face. As men prefer products to be multi-tasking, it is important to minimise the number of steps in the male regimen and highlight the key ingredients and benefits to ensure product engagement.
The male skincare routine primarily focuses on cleansing, exfoliating scrubs and multifunctional moisturisers with a recent growth in daily sun protective moisturisers, anti-ageing serums and eye products. The shaving cabinet will no longer consist only of deodorant and shaving cream as men place greater significance on their personal appearance.
Whether male or female, looking your best at every age has a huge bearing on self-esteem, and indirectly on personal success, and that is the fundamental basis for using skincare. Ladies, treat the men in your life with some products from the Synergie Skin For Men range. A suggested routine is as follows:
UltraCleanse – daily cleanser
Combat – sun protective men’s moisturiser with soothing benefits
Lip Balm – hydrating men’s lip balm
UltraCleanse – daily cleanser
MediScrub – exfoliating scrub (use twice weekly)
Ultimate A – essential vitamin A serum
MultiTask – daily regenerating serum
Combat – sun protective moisturiser (or a moisturiser suited to your skin type: HydroGel for oily skin, DermaCalm for skin redness)
ImprovEyes Night – overnight eye treatment to address dark circles, fine lines and puffiness
For a set of these full size mens products, try the Targeted Anti-Ageing Set For Men. Designed exclusively for men to protect, restore and nourish hardworking skin.
Original article published by Synergie Skin >