Linda Ellis, the health coach, chef and the woman behind Sydney-based lunch delivery service Lunch Lady Lou, shares her recipe for the perfect weekday breakfast—oat and flaxseed porridge complete with apple pie topping.
Ellis has created the ultimate porridge recipe in an effort to help you put good food back in your body, ideal of those spring mornings that still feel a little too cold for a fresh fruit salad or smoothie. Topped with apple, cinnamon and a squeeze of lemon – breakfast has never felt so good.
Oat and flaxseed porridge with apple pie topping
Makes one serve
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon flaxseeds
1 1/4 cups coconut milk, or any milk you choose
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1 apple, diced
1 tsp coconut sugar
A squeeze of lemon (optional)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Add your oats, flaxseeds and coconut milk to a pot.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Stir fairly frequently so the oats don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
3. Meanwhile, in a small pan, melt your coconut oil on medium heat.
4. Add apple and coconut sugar to pan. Use a spatula to caramelise all sides of the apple, this will take the same amount of time as the porridge.
5. Spoon porridge into a bowl, top with apple, a small squeeze of lemon (optional) and cinnamon.
Original article published by @VogueAustralia >